• Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Watercolor of fishing boats

This week I've been working on a watercolor after van Gogh, "Fishing boats on the beach at Saintes-Maries", and it has been very difficult. I love van Gogh's work and this particular little watercolor of the fishing boats is wonderful. I've always wanted to try it and found out that it was challenging. I had to break the field into threes and then make a graph on clear plastic placing it over the original watercolor ( I mean a copy of the original). It was the only way I could confidently draw the scene. I will include my drawing and then my watercolor. I plan to copy a few more van gogh's -- starry night and the cafe scene are favorites of mine. I don't trace, but just looking at the picture and then drawing it is challenging enough.
Here is the drawing I did first:

No comments:

Post a Comment