• Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Catechism class for adults

I am happy to say that my dear husband has finally decided to convert to the faith, and we have been attending Monday night classes since September. He was confirmed in the Episcopalian church many years ago and we were even married in the Episcopal church in Santa Ana 39 years ago. I'm not sure what triggered his desire to do this, but it is a joy to learn and grow in the faith with my life partner.
We faithfully attend Sunday Mass at St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Church in our hometown; and whenever we travel, we find a Catholic church to attend Mass -- we don't want to miss a Sunday or Holy Day of Obligation. He says the rosary with me, we read the scriptures almost everyday, and we pray together. Over the years of faithfully attending services and learning about the Catholic faith through the teaching of the priests, EWTN programs, and books that I have read to him, he finally decided to be confirmed. What joy -- what happiness is mine. It's what I've always wanted, yearned for, and dreamed about for him.
However, I must say, that I'm a little disappointed in how liberal some of the people are who come to teach our classes. Last Monday we had one of the Deacons teach (again); he has taught several classes so far to date. He's obviously in the liberal camp and makes it known. Last Monday he spoke about "community" and suggested that attending services, whether it is mass, a wedding, or a funeral, or anything else is because of "community".
When I heard him say this, I sat up straighter in my chair and thought to myself, "No, it is not "community", it is because of Christ that I even attend anything". I, personally, do not go to Mass in order to feel close to those sitting in the pews around me; I go because Jesus said He would NEVER leave me nor forsake me. I believe with all my heart that He is present in the form and disguise of the Host and the Wine. Transubstantiation. I never heard that word until I watched Mother Angelica on EWTN back in the 1990's and she talked to the audience about it. I had an "Epiphany" at that moment; my eyes were opened; my mind was enlightened; I was set free! What!? Jesus is really here? and when I consume the bread and wine I am consuming Him? For a few minutes after I consume Him, He is present in me in all His glory, imparting His graces to me. I was thrilled! I was so happy to learn this! Suddenly, everything Jesus said on earth made sense to me. (read Mtt 26:26-29 and John 6:52-69). I go to Mass and attend services for Jesus and through His graces and teachings that He has imparted through His written Word, I come to love and serve those around me.
As far as the concept of "community" goes, there are many many more protestant churches that are more welcoming than the Catholic church. If I was seeking "community" and all that entails, I wouldn't be going to a Catholic Church -- the only friendly persons I've met there are the priest, our neighbors, and the people that sit behind us during Mass. The husband always offers his hand-sanitizer before going up to recieve communion.
That probably sounded harsh, but never-the-less it is the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment